If you cannot conceive naturally, now there’s ICSI treatment or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection – an assisted reproductive procedure that helps couples conceive. Read the Complete guide for couples looking for ICSI treatment in Bangalore.
Motherhood is a wonderfully blessed phase. Every woman at some point in time wants to embrace motherhood. Little hands grabbing your tiny finger, toothless grins and unconditional love – a child fulfills your life. While motherhood is always about a choice and commitment not everyone is lucky enough to make that choice. For some couples, it is very difficult to conceive naturally. This can be for various reason – lifestyle choices, stress, PCOD, low sperm count in husbands, male infertility. This guide is for couples who are facing challenges in conceiving naturally, due to male infertility and thus are looking for ICSI treatment in Bangalore.
Medical science has time and again proved to challenge nature and help humans. If you cannot conceive naturally, you can opt for IVF. But couples who face an issue of male infertility, have a troubled IVF journey. Unless you can extract healthy sperms from the male it is nearly impossible to have a successful IVF.
What causes Male Infertility?
Male infertility issues are very common and can arise because of lifestyle choices too. There are various factors that contribute to male infertility.
- Genetic conditions of infertility
- Substance abuse – alcohol, tobacco, drugs
- Hormonal disorder
- Exposure to radiation and poisonous chemicals
- Wearing restrictive underwear
- Injury in the groin area
- Certain medications can lead to infertility in men
- Sexually transmitted disease
- Erection dysfunction
Why male infertility causes problem in conceiving?
While it is known you need a sperm and an egg to come together for reproduction, you also need to realize the importance of healthy sperms. Male infertility factors contribute to approximately 30% of all infertility cases. What happens when a male has infertility issues?
- Sperm count is low
- There are morphological problems – all parts of sperms are not formed well
- Motility issues – the sperm cannot travel fast and further due to abnormality in shape
What is ICSI Treatment and how is it different from IVF?
ICSI or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection is a specialized form of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) that is used for the treatment of severe cases of male infertility. In simple words it is the process of injecting a single healthy sperm in the middle of an egg, retrieved from a female partner.
In a standard IVF procedure egg and sperms retrieved from both partners are mixed together in a dish and they fertilize in a natural way. However, if the sperms are not healthy, or have morphological problems this fertilization becomes a challenge. ICSI and IVF go hand in hand, ICSI is not a substitute of IVF. ICSI treatment provides hopes and results for couples for whom normal IVF is not an option.
How is the ICSI procedure performed?
ICSI is a non-invasive laboratory procedure.
- Eggs are retrieved from a female partner in an IVF cycle
- Experienced embryologists use delicate, hollow and sharp needles to immobilize and pick up a single sperm that’s collected from the male partner
- This needle is then carefully inserted through the outer shell of the egg and egg membrane into the inner part (cytoplasm) of the egg under microscope
- Eggs are checked next morning for evidence of normal fertilization
- Once eggs are fertilized, embryo transfer is done within 3-5 days
Who is ICSI treatment suitable for?
Patients having a problem conceiving naturally due to a severe case of male infertility and don’t want a donor’s sperm can go for ICSI treatment in Bangalore.
- Sperm concentrations of less than 15-20 million per milliliter
- Sperm motility less than 35%
- Very poor sperm morphology with maximum abnormally formed sperms
- Failed IVF cycle with no fertilization
If your sperm analysis throws up results like the ones mentioned above then a normal IVF cycle success is very difficult and you should consider ICSI treatment.
Where to get ICSI Treatment in Bangalore?
Trained and experienced specialists carry out ICSI Treatment in Bangalore in an effective way with higher success rate. Fertilization rate after ICSI treatment is about 50%-80%. ICSI treatment in Bangalore can be done in hospitals and fertility clinics.
Tips to choose the right place for ICSI Treatment in Bangalore
Not being able to conceive can be frustrating for couples. This is the time when you should be together and think logically instead of getting depressed and too worried. There are many places you can get ICSI done but follow these tips to choose the right place for ICSI treatment in Bangalore.
- Choose facilities that offer Fertility investigations, helps in ovulation induction
- Choose a facility that can also provide Fertility-Assisted Hatching or laser hatching to increase the efficiency of IVF and ICSI
- Choose a facility based on high rates of fertilization cases
- Best IVF and ICSI facility means – high chances of live births of a baby
- Always ask questions – it is good to know and be aware of information
- Ask questions like – “What is the number of live deliveries you have done for women of my age and my fertility profile?”
- When contacting a hospital or fertility clinic ask for stats of live births rather than the number of pregnancies. All pregnancies don’t necessarily lead to live birth.
- Choose a hospital that has good facility for handling complications during delivery and post delivery
- Choose a hospital or clinic that has a good NICU and pediatric facility
It is okay if you cannot conceive naturally, do not lose hope. Science has been known to help man in the most trying times. IVF and ICSI have become quite common today. There is no harm in getting help and having a baby than leaving it to fate and not having the pleasure of having your baby. ICSI Bangalore is carried out by various institutions and experienced doctors – keep the hope alive in you.